I have been even more scatter-brained than usual lately and haven't been able to focus on my blog, but I wanted to write a quick post to share what I've been up to and once again try to get back on track with regular blogging.
- A publisher responded to my Polar Night query and asked me to send the full ms, so I am just thrilled beyond words about that. Even though I know they could easily still say no to my story, it was still a thrill that someone was interested enough in my query to request more and the response gave me a big boost. :)
- I had a dream that gave me an idea for a new novel, and I'm so excited about that I've hardly been able to concentrate on anything else all week. This story will take place on Martha's Vineyard and will involve a real shipwreck that happened off the coast of the island in 1884. I wrote about the Vineyard and my connection to it during my first A-Z in April challenge in 2011. If you're interested, those posts are here and here. My father's family has been on the island for centuries, and one of my ancestors was a lighthouse keeper there back in the middle of the 19th century. My family vacationed there nearly ever summer when I was a child, and I have been fortunate enough to visit many times as an adult. I am excited about the chance to write about the island, and the story has special meaning to me since I feel like it is a connection to my dad. I have been struggling to come to terms with his death back in June, and the ideas for this story have come together so quickly that it somehow feels like it is meant to be.
- I had the honor of interviewing Michael Pierce, author of Provex City, for my books column, and will have that interview published next week. If you haven't already read Provex City, I highly recommend it! Michael is a great writer and his blog is always fun to visit.
- Thanks to a blogger buddy I learned about a writing organization in my area called Women Writing for a Change. I've been wanting to find a local group but hadn't had any luck, so I was thrilled to get this recommendation. Even better, the group is holding a free sampler of their programs in a few weeks, so I couldn't have discovered it at a better time. I admit that groups are intimidating to me and I've been nervous about trying one, but I really want to force myself to get over that fear and take this step.
- I ordered business cards for myself. This is another thing I've been meaning to do for a while and kept putting off, but I wanted to get them now in order to have them available when I work on my columns. I know it's silly, but it made me feel very giddy to see my name and "freelance writer" on the card. :D
In addition to my ongoing total obsession with the Game of Thrones books, that's where my head has been the past few weeks. I am looking forward to catching up with everyone and seeing what you all have been up to as well. I hope everyone has a great weekend ahead. :)